Check IRCTC PNR Status and Get Waitlist PNR Prediction
Now, you can easily check IRCTC PNR status online using RailMitra. Get the real-time update of the PNR status of your train ticket. Enter the 10-digit PNR number printed on the top left corner of a ticket and click on the “Check PNR Status” button. It will return the accurate PNR status and give you waitlist prediction updates of your train ticket. RailMitra helps you stay up-to-date about your PNR status before your train journey so you can make an informed decision before you travel.
Download RailMitra App to check PNR status on the go and avail more useful facilities during your train travel.
PNR Status Check - The Unique Identity Of Every Train Traveler
Why is it vital and so much crucial to check PNR status? PNR term plays an important role in Indian Railways and is needed by the passenger every time they plan to travel via trains.
What is PNR?
PNR is a 10-digit identification number for everyone who opts for the railway as the mode of commuting. It’s an acronym of “Passenger Name Record”. It gets stored in the computer database reservation system of Indian Railways. Whenever you book a ticket, no matter whether it has ‘confirmed’ status or ‘waiting’ status, PNR number gets generated every time in a random way and gets stored in the database for the record of Indian Railways authorities.
Where is PNR Number Printed?
Online Tickets: For online tickets, the 10-digit PNR number is printed on the topmost row just below the transaction ID.
Tickets Booked Through Reservation Counters: For tickets booked through the railway reservation counters, the PNR number is printed at the top leftmost corner just beneath the PNR number heading.
What All Information is Embedded In Your PNR?
- Passengers’ Details: Name, age and gender of the passenger
- Fare Details
- Coach and Seat Information
- RAC/ Waitlisted Details
- Ticket Upgradation Details
- Berth Number and Details
- Source Station
- Destination Station
- Journey Duration
The first digit of the PNR number refers to the railway zone under which the origin station falls into.
- 1 stand for Secunderabad (SCR) zone
- 2 and 3 stands for New Delhi PRS (NR, NCR, NWR, and NER) zones
- 4 and 5 stands for Chennai PRS (SR, SWR, and SCR) zones
- 6 and 7 stands for Kolkata PRS (NFR, ECR, ER, EcoR, SER, and SECR) zones
- 8 and 9 stands for Mumbai PRS (CR, WCR, and WR) zones
PNR is your digital identification number containing unique details. It stores basic passenger-related information such as their age, sex, date of birth, along with their travel details including the ticket number, date of journey, seat number, coach number, source station, destination station, berth preference if any, quota or class of travel, payment mode and more.
PNR allows the Railways to track the name of the passenger, train number, time of booking and ticketing time limit, among other vital information.
With the help of such information, RailMitra can also send you useful information about your PNR status, thus making your journeys less stressful!
Why Check PNR Status?
It is always useful to check PNR status before heading out to the station to know about the status of your reservation.
Every time you book train tickets, you might not land in the green area of getting ‘confirmed’ ticket status. However, to keep yourself acquainted with the escalations till the time you board the train, PNR status check-up becomes vital.
So, make sure to check out the PNR status before travelling to learn whether your ticket is having reserved status.
PNR Status Prediction and Confirmation Probability
The PNR prediction shown by RailMitra platform is 99% accurate because it’s backed by data analysis.
PNR Status seems to update quickly on the penultimate day of the journey. There are multiple factors behind confirmation probability which range from the class of travel, peak time, and seasonal trends to quotas allotted in the train at various stations en-route.
How to Check PNR Status?
PNR status could be checked through different ways and it could be done either via the web, phone, or other methods. You can check PNR status in any of these five ways:
- Check IRCTC PNR status online through websites
- Check PNR status through the mobile app
- Check PNR status offline through messaging IRCTC
- Railway enquiry counters at the railway station
- Final reservation charts (made live 1 hour before the train departure)
RailMitra has made it a lot easier to stay updated with your PNR status escalations. Here’s how you can check Indian Railway PNR status:
How to Check PNR status through RailMitra website:
- Visit https://www.railmitra.com/
- Click on “Check PNR Status” Tab
- Enter 10-digit PNR number in the given box
- Click on “Check PNR Number” button
- It will reflect the details related to your PNR confirmation update
How to do PNR status enquiry through RailMitra Mobile App:
- Download the RailMitra App
- Tap on “Check PNR Status”
- Enter the 10-digit PNR Number
- Tap the “Check PNR Status” button
How to check PNR status through SMS:
- You can send message to the railway enquiry number 139 to check IRCTC PNR status offline
- Message the PNR number in the format of PNR <10-digit PNR Number>
- For example, type PNR 1234567890
How RailMitra is Giving Updates on Waitlisted Tickets Being Confirmed?
Checking the IRCTC PNR status becomes a breeze with RailMitra along with our range of attractive features.
- Confirmation Probability: First of all, there is our Confirmation Probability feature which helps users know about end Confirmation chances of any PNR (in terms of High, Medium and Low).
- Progress in PNR status: Secondly, RailMitra keeps the users updated about the progress/change in PNR status through periodic Notifications. The final status of a particular PNR number is sent when the final chart has been prepared, which is usually 30 minutes before departure of the train.
PNR Status Abbreviations - A Brief Overview:
- GNWL (General Waiting List): Likelihood of confirmation is on high priority.
- CKWL (Tatkal Waiting List): These are preferred after all GNWL lists have a confirmed berth status. This quota is for train passengers travelling from metro cities or other major cities.
- RLWL (Remote Location Waiting List): When the ticket is booked between two primary stations between the originating and destination station. It has a low probability of confirmation.
- RQWL (Request Waiting List): It is a separate quota which is applied when the ticket is booked for intermediate stations.
- PQWL (Pooled Quota Waiting List): This quota is applied for smaller stations when someone books ticket between intermediate stations or intermediate stations connecting origin or terminating stations.
- RLGN (Remote Location General Waiting List): It is issued when a passenger books the ticket for the station where the waiting list is RLWL. The status changes to RLGN upon booking.
- RSWL (Roadside station waiting list): This quota applies to tickets booked from the originating station to a road-side station.
- CNF – Confirmed Ticket.
- RAC – Reservation Against Cancellation. With a RAC ticket, you may board the train and get a half-berth. The status can be updated to CNF if there is any cancellation.
- CAN – Ticket Cancelled.
- WL – Waiting List.
Does PNR Number Exist for Non-Reserved Passengers?
The PNR number is allotted only to reserved tickets. For unreserved tickets, no PNR is allotted since the ticket Indian Railways hasn’t booked any seat or berth.
The concept of generation of PNR number and to travel in trains without any hassle with confirmed PNR status has been derived in order to make the entire procedure more efficient for Indian railways as well as the passengers.
Railway Enquiries and Services through RailMitra
- Order Food in Train – Get online food delivery in train through RailMitra
- PNR Status – Check live PNR status by entering 10-digits PNR number
- Train Schedule – Check live train time table online using RailMitra
- Train Live Status – Check live train running status online by entering train name
- Train Between Stations – Check upcoming train between stations through RailMitra
- Live Station Arrival and Departure – Check live arrival and departure status of trains between stations in the next 2, 4, and 8 hours
- Seat Availability – Check train seat availability online
- Fare Enquiry – Get train ticket fare details online of any train in any class
- Station Details – Enter station name to get train schedule and time table
- Rail News – Read the latest railway news and stay updated
- Hotel by Hour – Book Hourly Hotels Near Railway Station
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to all your common questions related to Passenger Name Record (PNR)...
What is PNR?
PNR is a 10-digit identification number called “Passenger Name Record”. It is provided to every traveller who opts for the railway as their mode of commuting. It is located on the top left corner of the reserved ticket and gets stored in the computer database reservation system of the Indian Railways. Whenever passengers book tickets, no matter whether it is in confirmation status or waiting status, PNR number gets generated every time on a random basis and gets stored in the record of Indian Railways authorities. This concept of generation of PNR number to travel in trains without any hassle has been devised for making the entire procedure more efficient for the Indian Railways and the passengers.
What is PNR status?
Every PNR number has a specific status attached to it. It can be Waitlisted, RAC or a confirmed ticket with a berth number. Usually, the train chart is prepared four hours before the scheduled departure of the train. A passenger can check their PNR status to know the exact travel details. PNR allows the Railways to track the name of the passenger, train number, time of booking and ticketing time limit, train number, and seat number among other vital details. With the help of such information, RailMitra makes your journey less stressful!
What is PNR Confirmation Probability? How does it operate?
We know that every PNR number has a status associated with it. It might be RAC, Waitlisted, or Confirmed (CNF). Confirmation probability is simply defined as the chances (probability) of getting a ticket confirmed. These’re expressed in percentages like 50%, 70%, 100% etc. If the result is above 80% after PNR enquiry, there’re high chances of getting your tickets confirmed. It’s a scientific prediction. The confirmation probability operates on various factors like:
- Current trends of the train
- Rate of ticket bookings
- Seasonality concerns
- Quota adjustment systems
- Choice of Trains: They are classified as the first choice train, second choice train and third choice train depending on the preference of the passengers and ticket availability.
By combining these factors, the confirmation probability ends with a specific value and colour code. The higher probability value will be represented by green followed by yellow and red. E.g., if your status at the time of booking a ticket is W/L 10 GNWL and current status shows W/L 1 GNWL, this means there’re 90% chances of confirmation.
How to Check PNR Status online?
PNR inquiry through phone can be done using any of these three methods:
- Check Current Reservation status via SMS Service
Send SMS to 139 in the following format: (PNR Space <PNR Number> and send it to 139) or (PNR Space <PNR Number> and send it to 5676747)
- Check Current Reservation via RailMitra App
Download RailMitra app on your android smartphone and get real-time updates about your PNR Status Enquiry. Along with the current status, it also displays the platform number, coach number, coach position, berth number and more. Just enter your PNR number and check the status.
- Check via RailMitra’s Official Website
Passengers can check their PNR status online by visiting RailMitra’s official website. Just enter the 10 digit PNR number and get the live update on your screen.
- Check Current Reservation status via SMS Service
What are the types of codes displayed during PNR status Check?
There are several status codes displayed on the screen while checking PNR status online. Some of the codes are:
- GNWL (General Waiting List): Confirmation probability is higher in this status.
- CKWL (Tatkal Waiting List): Tatkal waiting list is preferred after the general waiting list is exhausted.
- RLWL (Remote Location Waiting List)
- RQWL (Request Waiting List)
- PQWL (Pooled Quota Waiting List)
- RLGN (Remote Location General Waiting List)
- RSWL (Roadside station waiting list)
- CNF: Confirmed
- RAC: Reservation Against Cancellation
What do the first three digits of PNR signify?
The first three digits represent the PRS (Passenger Reservation System) from where the ticket is booked. E.g. If your PNR number starts with 2 or 3, it means the ticket is issued by New Delhi PRS or if it starts from 6, 7 then it is Eastern Central Railway (ECR) or Kolkata PRS.
Is PNR valid after the journey ends?
No! PNR number is only valid from the date it is generated till the journey ends. However, the PNR number is stored for nine months in the database of Indian Railways (CRIS).
How many tickets can be booked in a single PNR?
Tickets of six passengers can be booked in a single PNR, which means a maximum of 6 passengers can be accommodated in a single PNR number while booking tickets.
Can You Order Food in Train by using PNR number?
Yes! You can easily order food of your choice by entering the PNR number in RailMitra’s app for food ordering and select the options among the given variety and order them in a few simple steps. You will get your food delivered on your seat.
Is PNR allotted for non-reserved tickets?
No! PNR number is always allotted on reserved tickets. It is allotted for classes like 1AC, 2AC, FC (First Class), 3AC; CC (Chair Car), SL (Sleeper Class) and 2S (second seating).
What is Flushed PNR?
If you check the PNR status after your journey ends, the status visible will be “Flushed PNR” or “PNR is Flushed” which means the PNR number is no more active neither can it be reused.
Where is PNR number located on an e-ticket?
There’s a separate cell for PNR number which is located above the transaction ID cell. The first cell on the e-ticket carries the PNR Number for the journey.
Is PNR number valid after ticket cancellation?
No! As the ticket is cancelled, the validity of PNR ends. This means the PNR number is no more active for any train journey.
What details are displayed while PNR search?
Whenever any passenger enquires their PNR status online, it displays the departure-arrival timings, coach/seat number, fare details, ticket status and the expected platform number from which the train will depart.
What does the code “WEBCAN” and “WEBCANRF” refer to?
The Code “WEBCAN” means “Railway Counter Ticket Passenger cancelled through internet and Refund not collected” and “WEBCANRF” refer to “Railway Counter Ticket Passenger cancelled through internet and Refund collected”.