If you’re looking forward to travelling to some of the best relaxing holiday destinations after the lockdown, you’re not alone.
We’re all looking for a respite from both the lockdown and the summer heat, and dreaming of relaxing places to visit alone or with family. While international travel would not be possible soon, you can chart out some of the best holiday destinations in India to visit once the lockdown gets over.
The unprecedented coronavirus pandemic has brought all the travel plans to a halt for an indefinite time. It has caused havoc both domestically and globally. In almost every sector, this lockdown has caused damage but the travel and hospitality industries have got the worst hit. At the same time, all travel lovers are waiting for the lockdown to end to see the true form of nature.
Hopefully, everything will be fine soon and old things in the country will be back on track. After the lockdown, if you want to take a break and visit the best holiday places in India, then you need to plan your itinerary well. It would be better to travel to local destinations through trains, buses, or by road, and avoid air travel as much as possible to avoid the risk of catching the virus. The best holiday destination in India can vary for every traveller based on the preferred length of stay, activities to do, cuisines, climate, budget, and the type of locale.
If you’re making a list of the best places to tour in India after the lockdown, but are not sure where to begin, here is a list of 15 best relaxing holiday destinations in India to help you get started:
As soon as you enter the Darjeeling city, you will find a sense of peacefulness in the air which will make you calm. The view of lush green tea plantations and the peaks of the Himalayas add to this whole feeling. In short, this place is nothing short of heaven for nature lovers and strollers. This is one of the best places to tour in India to spend the holidays.
- Top tourist attractions in Darjeeling: Darjeeling Toy Train Ride, Tiger Hill, Ropeway.
- Nearest railway station to reach Darjeeling: New Jalpaiguri Railway Station.
The summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar, is home to cozy houseboats and luxurious lakes. Srinagar is also known as the land of lakes and gardens, which are adequately found in the city. If you like to play golf, then Srinagar is a suitable destination for you, as there are many options for it. Srinagar is also known as the most romantic honeymoon place in India.
- Top tourist attractions in Srinagar: Dal Lake, Mughal Gardens, Tulip Garden.
- Nearest railway station to reach Srinagar: Jammu Tawi and Udhampur Railway Station.
Nainital, a small town located in the Kumaon border of Uttarakhand, is also known as the Lake District of India. This place is loved by the newlyweds as they often visit the best place for honeymoon in India. Nainital is great for adventure lovers too as there are a lot of options of indulging in adventure sports like kayaking, parasailing, and rock climbing. Adventure lovers count Nainital as one of the best travel destinations in India.
- Top tourist attractions in Nainital: Eco Cave Gardens, Naini Lake, Naina Devi Temple.
- Nearest railway station to reach Nainital: Kathgodam Railway Station.
Shillong is the capital city of Meghalaya which is situated in the middle of the Khasi Hills. One of the most popular hill stations in India, Shillong records the highest rainfall not only in India but all over the world. Lady Hydari Park, Spread Eagle Falls, Nohkalikai Falls, and Elephant Falls are among the best places to visit with family in Shillong.
- Top tourist attractions in Shillong: Umiam Lake, Elephant Falls, Laitlum Canyons.
- Nearest railway station to reach Shillong: Guwahati Railway Station.
One place that is equally loved by thrill-seekers and people looking for a peaceful getaway is none other than Manali. Located in the Kullu Valley of Himachal Pradesh, Manali is suitable for all types of travellers, whether they are travelling solo, as a couple or in a group. Apart from the Solang Valley, Tibetan monasteries, and Rohtang Pass, Manali is also popular for its English cafes which are located in Old Manali and considered as the most relaxing places to visit alone.
- Top tourist attractions in Manali: Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass, Beas Kund Trek.
- Nearest railway station to reach Manali: Jogindernagar railway station.
While on one side, the northern part of Mussoorie impresses us with the high Himalayan mountains, on the other hand, its southern part boasts of the view of Doon Valley. Located about 35 km from Uttarakhand’s capital Dehradun, Mussoorie has been specially developed for tourists. The most popular place for solo visit here is Lal Tibba, the highest place in Mussoorie. Mussoorie is the best option if you’re looking to travel to one of the most mesmerizing vacation places in India with family and friends.
- Top tourist attractions in Mussoorie: Lal Tibba, Lake Mist, Cloud’s End.
- Nearest railway station to reach Mussoorie: Dehradun Railway Station.
The misty valley of Coorg is covered with spices, tea and coffee plantations, and topped with an emerald landscape that makes it a picturesque destination. Coorg is famous among tourists as one of the best family holiday destinations in India. Coorg is a center for coffee and spice production in India and has a pleasant climate. The Abhay, Iruppu, and Barud Falls are the must-visit places in Coorg valley.
- Top tourist attractions in Coorg: Abbey Falls, Talakaveri, Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Nearest railway station to reach Coorg: Mysore Railway Station.
Shimla, popular as one of the famous summer tourist destinations in India, is almost everyone’s favorite hill station and the proof of this can be gauged from the number of tourists visiting Shimla throughout the year. Shimla is a well-developed hill station which is also well-known for its Mall Road. During the British Raj, Shimla has declared the summer capital of India.
- Top tourist attractions in Shimla: Kufri, The Ridge, Kalka Shimla Toy Train Ride.
- Nearest railway station to reach Shimla: Kalka Railway Station.
“If Jannat is anywhere, it is here” – This line completely defines Gulmarg. The beauty of Gulmarg lies in its snow-capped mountains, pristine lakes, and meadow of flowers. If you like to travel, then you need to visit Gulmarg at least once in your lifetime. If you enjoy adventure sports then this summer destination in India is suitable for you as snowboarding and skiing are known as the main tourist activities of the region.
- Top tourist attractions in Gulmarg: Gulmarg Gondola, Khilanmarg, Alpather Lake.
- Nearest railway station to reach Gulmarg: Jammu Tawi Railway Station.
Nicknamed by the British as Snooty Ooty, this place is nothing but a visual delight. It is home to terraced botanical gardens, thatched-roof churches, flower gardens, cedar trees, and beautiful cottages. Ooty is always a bit foggy which further enhances its beauty. The peace and beauty of nature are the main attractions of this place. Ooty is also known as the most peaceful tourist destination in India for travellers who want to spend time with family in the lap of nature.
- Top tourist attractions in Ooty: Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty Lake, Emerald Lake.
- Nearest railway station to reach Ooty: Udhagamandalam Railway Station.
Munnar place is popular for its tea gardens. Munnar has wildlife, forests, misty hills, and winding lanes. You can also trek here to Anamudi, the highest peak of South India. You can also opt for rock climbing here, which is done under expert guidance.
- Top tourist attractions in Munnar: Echo Point, Photo Point, Atukkad Waterfalls.
- Nearest railway station to reach Munnar: Aluva Railway Station.
Binsar is blessed with a beautiful view of the peaks like Nanda Kot, Chaukhamba, Panchachuli, Kedarnath, and Nanda Devi. Although it has a lot of tourist attractions, the best place to visit with friends here is Zero Point as it has panoramic views of the Himalayas. Apart from this, you should also visit Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary where you will get to see several species of flora and fauna.
- Top tourist attractions in Binsar: Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, Bineshwar Temple, Zero Point.
- Nearest railway station to reach Binsar: Kathgodam Railway Station.
Coonoor may be quieter and smaller in area than Ooty, but in terms of beauty, it is certainly second to none. There are many places to visit in Coonoor such as Lodge Fall, Dolphin’s Nose, Lamb’s Rock, and more. The best way to enjoy your holidays here is to ride a toy train from Coonoor to the beautiful hill station of Ooty.
- Top tourist attractions in Coonoor: Sim’s Park, Dolphin’s Nose, Ketti Valley.
- Nearest railway station to reach Coonoor: Mettupalayam Railway Station.
If you want to visit a secluded place in India during the summer, then Kodaikanal is the best place to visit. Nestled in the Palani Hills of Tamil Nadu, 120 km from Madurai, this place is named ‘Gift of the Forest‘. Kodaikanal is home to a myriad of flora and fauna that are preserved in a display of untouched beauty of nature.
- Top tourist attractions in Kodaikanal: Green Valley View, Kodai Lake, Pillar Rocks.
- Nearest railway station to reach Kodaikanal: Kodaikanal Road Railway Station.
Gangtok, the beautiful capital of Sikkim, needs no introduction. It has the perfect city life with the quaint aura of a hill station. While Gangtok has some amazing attractions such as Tsomgo Lake, Rumtek Monastery, Banjakhri Hill, and more, the main market of the city also has some amazing handicrafts for people to buy as souvenirs. Gangtok is one of the best places to visit in India and also has some excellent food and drink options.
- Top tourist attractions in Gangtok: Nathula Pass, Rumtek Monastery, Tsomgo Lake.
- Nearest railway station to reach Gangtok: New Jalpaiguri Junction Railway Station.
If you want to take a break after recovering from lockdown, then you can easily choose from these top 15 vacation places in India. After getting rid of lockdown and the corona crisis, you can spend a great time with family and friends in these magnificent and beautiful tourist places in India.