Check PNR status and Waitlist PNR Prediction of IRCTC
Check IRCTC PNR Status and Get Waitlist PNR Prediction
Now, you can easily check IRCTC Train PNR status live using the RailMitra online train PNR status enquiry system. Get a real-time update of the PNR status of your train ticket.
Enter the 10-digit PNR number printed on the top left corner of a train ticket and click on the “Check PNR Status” button. It will return the accurate PNR status and give you waitlist prediction updates of your train ticket.
RailMitra helps you stay up-to-date about your PNR status before your train journey so you can make an informed decision before you travel.
Download RailMitra App to check PNR status on the go and avail more useful facilities during your train travel.
PNR Status Check - The Unique Identity Of Every Train Traveler
Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry - Train PNR Status Enquiry at RailMitra
Why is it vital and so crucial to check PNR status?
PNR (Passenger Name Record) term plays an important role in the Indian Railways ticketing system and is needed by the railway passenger every time they plan to travel via trains.
What is the PNR Number in Train Ticket?
PNR is a 10-digit identification number for everyone who opts for the railway as the mode of commuting. It’s an acronym for “Passenger Name Record”.
It gets stored in the computer database reservation system of Indian Railways. Whenever you book a train ticket, no matter whether it has ‘confirmed’ status or ‘waiting’ status, the PNR number gets generated every time in a random way and gets stored in the database for the record of Indian Railways authorities.
Where can I find the booking reference/PNR Printed on the Ticket?
Online Tickets: For online tickets (tickets that are booked online or through the IRCTC website), the 10-digit PNR number is printed on the topmost row just beside the transaction ID.
Printed Tickets Booked Through Indian Railway Reservation Counters: On the printed counter tickets, the PNR number is printed at the top leftmost corner just beneath the PNR number heading.
What All Information is Embedded In Your PNR?
PNR is your digital identification number containing unique details. It stores
- Railway Passengers’ Details: Name, age and gender of the train passenger
- Date of Journey
- Train Name and Number
- Train fare Details
- Class of travel (1 AC, 2 AC, CC, SL, etc.)
- Coach, seat number, and quota
- Booking status (whether it is waitlisted, confirmed RAC, etc. at the time of reservation)
- Current status (whether it is waitlisted, confirmed RAC, etc. at the time of checking)
- IRCTC Ticket Auto Upgradation Scheme Details
- Coach and Seat Number Details
- From (Source Station)
- To (Destination Station)
- Boarding point
- Journey Duration
How is a PNR number issued for a train?
The first digit of the PNR number refers to the Indian railway zone under which the origin railway station falls into.
The Story Of 10 Digits
- 1 = PNR starting with '1' are issued from SCR Zone (issued from Secunderabad PRS)
- 2 and 3 = PNR issued from Delhi PRS (NR, NCR, NWR, or NER Zone) railway zones
- 4 and 5 = PNR issued from Chennai PRS (SR, SWR or SCR) railway zones
- 6 and 7 = PNR issued from Kolkata PRS (NFR, ECR, ER, EcoR, SER, or SECR) railway zones
- 8 and 9 = PNR issued from Mumbai PRS (CR, WCR or WR) railway zones
The last 7 digits of an Indian Railways PNR number are produced at random to give it a unique identity.
PNR Status Prediction Analysis and Confirmation Probability
PNR Confirmation Prediction Feature - RailMitra
Waiting list tickets may get confirmed in future before the train departs, it depends on how many confirmed tickets are cancelled or additional coach has been added.
The PNR prediction status by RailMitra helps you predict the chances of your ticket, as well as seat availability. This platform is 99% accurate because it’s backed by data analysis and prediction is computed using machine learning techniques that include different parameters like the number of cancellations and bookings done based on factors like weekends, season, festivals, special events, among other factors.
Related Readings: RailMitra PNR Status Prediction: Everything That You Need to Know
Disclaimer: The PNR Confirmation Prediction feature functions based on several factors like the internal data and analysis. In certain conditions, there are chances that the tickets are not confirmed despite the high confirmation chances.
Ways to Check PNR Status?
PNR status could be checked in different ways and it could be done either via the web, phone, or other online methods. You can check PNR status in any of these ways:
- PNR status checks for railway reservation using SMS/phone: SMS PNR and send to "139" Format: PNR <10 digit PNR Number > or call 139 and follow the steps.
- PNR status through the mobile app/websites like RailMitra
- PNR Status Enquiry at railway station counters
- Final reservation charts (made live 1 hour before the train departure)
How to Check PNR Status Online:
- Go to RailMitra website https://www.railmitra.com/
- Click on the “Check PNR Status” Tab on the Menu Bar. This will take you to the PNR Status checking page.
- Enter a 10-digit PNR number in the given box and submit by clicking the “Check PNR Number” button
- It will reflect the details related to your PNR confirmation update
Related Readings: How to Check PNR Status on Railmitra? Know the Complete Process
How RailMitra is Giving Updates on Waitlisted Tickets Being Confirmed?
Checking the IRCTC PNR status becomes a breeze with RailMitra along with our range of attractive features.
- Confirmation Probability: First of all, there is our Confirmation Probability feature which helps users know about end Confirmation chances of any PNR (in terms of High, Medium and Low). Prediction is computed using data analytics and machine learning techniques to get occupancy rate (almost all trains run on 80 to 100 % occupancy) based on various factors like past booking and cancellation trends, station quotas, days of the week, seasonality, holidays etc. to determine new routes/trains to help passengers travel with ease.
- Progress in PNR status: Secondly, RailMitra keeps the users updated about the progress/change in PNR status through periodic Notifications. The final status of a particular PNR number is sent when the final chart has been prepared, which is usually 30 minutes before the departure of the train.
PNR Status Abbreviations - A Brief Overview:
- GNWL (General Waiting List Ticket): The main quota for a train is called the General Quota, which is normally for passengers boarding at (or close to) the trains’ originating station, and travelling to the terminating station. When all the General Quota tickets are sold, a General Wait List (GNWL or just WL) is started.
This is the most common type of waiting list and has got the highest chances of confirmation.
- TQWL (Tatkal waitlisted tickets): The Tatkal waiting list used to be called CKWL which has been changed to TQWL by the Indian Railways in December 2016. If a tatkal ticket for the journey is cancelled, the TQWL goes up directly and doesn’t go through RAC status.
During chart preparation, the general waiting list (GNWL) is preferred over (TQWL) hence TQWL confirmation chances are very less.
- RLWL (Remote Location Waiting List): When the ticket is booked between two primary stations between the originating and destination station. It has a low probability of confirmation. These waitlisted tickets are given a separate priority and for these tickets, confirmations depend on the cancellations of a destination confirmed ticket.
However, with this type of waiting list tickets, chances are less for confirmation, according to various reports.
- RQWL (Request Waiting List): RQWL refers to those tickets booked from intermediate stations to other intermediate stations and are not covered by general, remote location or pooled quota.
RQWL tickets are usually confirmed only when there is a confirmed ticket for a passenger travelling from the originating station to that intermediate station.
- PQWL (Pooled Quota Waiting List): This kind of waiting list is shared by several small railway stations. Once the tickets from the Pooled Quota is filled, PQWL tickets are issued.
Chances of PQWL tickets getting confirmed are usually very low, as in the priority list of waiting list tickets it comes after GNWL.
- RLGN (Remote Location General Waiting List): It is issued when a passenger books the ticket for the station where the waiting list is RLWL. The status changes to RLGN upon booking.
- RSWL (Roadside station waiting list): Road Side waiting quota is one of the weirdest quotas existing in Indian Railways. Under this quota, an extremely small portion of seats is kept. Usually, Rajdhani trains and other popular trains have this quota.
RSWL tickets are also difficult to confirm, as the seat share under it is very low.
- CNF – CNF is assigned when the ticket was in RAC and has been moved to confirmed status but the seat number has not been given.
- RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation). If the passenger status is marked as RAC, it means that the berth is split into two seats for two RAC ticket holders.
Indian Railway Passengers Enquiries and Services through RailMitra
- Order Food in Train – Get online food delivery in train through RailMitra
- PNR Status – Check live PNR status by entering 10-digits PNR number
- Train Schedule – Check live train time table online using RailMitra
- Train Live Status – Check live train running status online by entering train name
- Train Between Stations – Check upcoming train between stations through RailMitra
- Live Station Arrival and Departure – Check live arrival and departure status of trains between stations in the next 2, 4, and 8 hours
- Seat Availability – Check to train seat availability online
- Fare Enquiry – Get train ticket fare details online of any train in any class
- Station Details – Enter station name to get train schedule and timetable
- Rail News – Read the latest railway news and stay updated
- Hotel by Hour – Book Hourly Hotels Near Railway Station
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to all your common questions related to Passenger Name Record (PNR)...
What is PNR Confirmation Probability? How does it operate?
We know that every PNR number has a status associated with it. It might be RAC, Waitlisted, or Confirmed (CNF). Confirmation probability is simply defined as the chances (probability) of getting a ticket confirmed. These’re expressed in percentages like 50%, 70%, 100% etc. If the result is above 80% after PNR enquiry, there’re high chances of getting your tickets confirmed. It’s a scientific prediction. The confirmation probability operates on various factors like:
- Current trends of the train
- Rate of ticket bookings
- Seasonality concerns
- Quota adjustment systems
- Choice of Trains: They are classified as the first choice train, second choice train and third choice train depending on the preference of the passengers and ticket availability.
By combining these factors, the confirmation probability ends with a specific value and colour code. The higher probability value will be represented by green followed by yellow and red. E.g., if your status at the time of booking a ticket is W/L 10 GNWL and current status shows W/L 1 GNWL, this means there’re 90% chances of confirmation.
What are the types of codes displayed during PNR status Check?
There are several status codes displayed on the screen while checking PNR status online. Some of the codes are:
- GNWL (General Waiting List): Confirmation probability is higher in this status.
- CKWL (Tatkal Waiting List): Tatkal waiting list is preferred after the general waiting list is exhausted.
- RLWL (Remote Location Waiting List)
- RQWL (Request Waiting List)
- PQWL (Pooled Quota Waiting List)
- RLGN (Remote Location General Waiting List)
- RSWL (Roadside station waiting list)
- CNF: Confirmed
- RAC: Reservation Against Cancellation
What do the first three digits of PNR signify?
The first three digits represent the PRS (Passenger Reservation System) from where the ticket is booked. E.g. If your PNR number starts with 2 or 3, it means the ticket is issued by New Delhi PRS or if it starts from 6, 7 then it is Eastern Central Railway (ECR) or Kolkata PRS.
Is PNR valid after the journey ends?
No! PNR number is only valid from the date it is generated till the journey ends. However, the PNR number is stored for nine months in the database of Indian Railways (CRIS).
How many tickets can be booked in a single PNR?
Tickets of six passengers can be booked in a single PNR, which means a maximum of 6 passengers can be accommodated in a single PNR number while booking tickets.
Can You Order Food in Train by using PNR number?
Yes! You can easily order food of your choice by entering the PNR number in RailMitra’s app for food ordering and select the options among the given variety and order them in a few simple steps. You will get your food delivered on your seat.
Is PNR allotted for non-reserved tickets?
No! PNR number is always allotted on reserved tickets. It is allotted for classes like 1AC, 2AC, FC (First Class), 3AC; CC (Chair Car), SL (Sleeper Class) and 2S (second seating).
What is Flushed PNR?
If you check the PNR status after your journey ends, the status visible will be “Flushed PNR” or “PNR is Flushed” which means the PNR number is no more active neither can it be reused.
Where is PNR number located on an e-ticket?
There’s a separate cell for PNR number which is located above the transaction ID cell. The first cell on the e-ticket carries the PNR Number for the journey.
Is PNR number valid after ticket cancellation?
No! As the ticket is cancelled, the validity of PNR ends. This means the PNR number is no more active for any train journey.
What details are displayed while PNR search?
Whenever any passenger enquires their PNR status online, it displays the departure-arrival timings, coach/seat number, fare details, ticket status and the expected platform number from which the train will depart.
What does the code “WEBCAN” and “WEBCANRF” refer to?
The Code “WEBCAN” means “Railway Counter Ticket Passenger cancelled through internet and Refund not collected” and “WEBCANRF” refer to “Railway Counter Ticket Passenger cancelled through internet and Refund collected”.