Rail News: Passengers can avail ‘Bag on Wheels’ app-based service to carry their luggage from home to train coach and vice-versa at a nominal cost.
What is ‘Bags on Wheels’ Services by Indian Railways?
The Delhi division of Indian Railways is soon to launch an app-based service called “Bags on Wheels.” It will provide pick-up, loading, and luggage delivery for passengers travelling from Delhi, Ghaziabad, and Gurugram. The Bag on Wheels (BOW) service would facilitate passenger’s luggage to be transported from their homes to the railway station upon their trains’ arrival and vice versa.
How will Bags on Wheels Service Work?
- BOW app will soon be available for iPhone and Android users.
- Using the BOW app, passengers can demand to carry their luggage to the railway station or their home.
- It will facilitate in carrying luggage to and from railway stations. The delivery of the baggage will be ensured before the train leaves.
- Bags on Wheels app help in picking and delivering the baggage to the destination securely.
What are the Charges of BOW Service?
- Door-to-door service will be provided with minimal charges to the passengers for smooth and hassle-free handling of the luggage.
- The cost would depend on many factors such as weight, the number of bags, and distance to be covered.
Who Will Benefit the Most from the Bags on Wheels Service?
- It will be beneficial for senior citizens, the differently-abled, and women passengers travelling alone.
- It will also help the people who wish to relocate to different cities.
- The BOW service will be initially available for passengers who are boarding trains from New Delhi, Hazrat Nizamuddin, Delhi Junction, Delhi Cantonment, Delhi Sarai Rohilla, Ghaziabad, and Gurugram railway stations.
Scope of Earning For Railways
- The app-based contract has been allotted to a private firm under the ‘New Innovative Non-Fare Revenue Ideas Scheme’ (NINFRIS) initiative.
- SC Jain, DRM Delhi, stated that the Bag on Wheel service will be beneficial for passengers and enhance the scope of earning for Railways with revenue of Rs. 50 Lakh per annum along with 10 per cent revenue sharing for every year.
Also Read: Railways to Remove Pantry Cars from Trains
Good News For Coolies
It is hardly a comfortable view to see someone pull your baggage at the railway station while carrying part of it on their shoulders and heads. This kind of manual labour is exactly what coolies across the country do to earn their daily bread and butter. Therefore, this new service is also good news for the coolies. The Railways board has awakened to the need of coolies and launched a new app – ‘Bag on Wheels’. Passengers can use the app for getting their luggage picked up from their homes and transported to the train coach in which they are travelling.
It will be the first time this type of service is made available for railway passengers in India.
Nowadays, Indian Railways is running limited trains to control the spread of Coronavirus. Passengers have to follow strict guidelines while travelling. Passengers can also check the PNR status before travelling.
Stay updated to the latest Railway News with RailMitra!