Indian Railway is the fourth-largest rail network in the world. Millions of people travel every day with a lot of luggage to and from their destination. Indians railways, however, do not allow travellers to carry extra luggage or livestock due to rules imposed by them. Are you aware of this rule? If not, then read this blog to learn more about IRCTC Luggage Rules, their limits, extra charges, and safety precautions.
Passengers can carry luggage beyond the free allowance in the compartment up to the maximum limit in different class coaches. Anyone carrying more luggage than the limit will be fined at least Rs 30. Moreover, the Railways have relaxed the luggage limit up to a certain point.
IRCTC has set the limit of free luggage that can be carried in the train.
Given below are the IRCTC Luggage Rules for Each Class
|Class||Free Allowance||Marginal Allowance||Maximum Limit|
|AC 1-Tier||70kg||15 kg||150 kg|
|AC 3 tier/ AC Chair Car||40kg||10kg||40kg|
|Sleeper class:||40kg||10kg||80 kg|
|Second Class||35kg||10kg||70 kg|
Passengers found en route or at the destination with unbooked or partially booked luggage that weighs more than the free allowance/maximum limit will be penalized as per the rules.
Indian Railways Rules for Luggage
- The Railways luggage rules state that the booking of luggage bags will be cancelled if the sender’s address is not mentioned, either in English or Hindi.
- A luggage van has to be booked for carrying extra luggage. In this case, the IRCTC has set certain rules regarding the package of goods. Also, the unpacked luggage will not be accepted during booking.
- Any goods heavier than 100 kg and larger than 1m*1m*0.7m will be considered a heavy item and charged a hefty fee. Hence there will be a double surcharge on bulky items.
- Explosive substances, dangerous and inflammable articles and empty gas cylinders, dead poultry, gas cylinder, acid and other deadly things are Prohibited in a train or brake van. Anybody found responsible for such a crime will be fined and jailed.
- Suitcases or boxes of less than 100 cm*60cm*25cm in dimensions will be treated as personal items and carried in passenger compartments.
- Items exceeding outer dimensions can be booked and transported in the brake van, which costs Rs 50.
- The maximum size of a trunk/suitcase that can fit in the compartments of AC-3 tier and AC chair cars should be 55 cm x 45 cm x 22.5 cm.
- Patients can carry oxygen cylinders and their supporting stand at any class without charges.
- Each passenger can carry only fixed weights in their compartments. These weights vary from coach to coach. In Ac 1st class, you can take 150 kg, on Ac 2nd class, 100 kg, and in Ac 3rd class, only 40 kg is permissible for the free allowance.
- According to IRCTC luggage rules, children between the age of 5 and 12 will be allowed half of the free allowance, up to a maximum weight of 50 kg. The railway authority also fixes the marginal allowance.
- Free allowance is prohibited for heavy luggage like scooters, cycles, etc.
- Merchandise goods are not permitted for booking and carriage in the compartment as personal goods.
- A passenger who carries luggage exceeding the free limit on a train will be charged six times the luggage scale rate. In contrast, if the luggage weight is more than the free allowance and within the marginal allowance, the passenger will be charged 1.5 times the luggage scale rate.
- Passengers travelling with luggage weighing more than 1-10 kg within 1-50 km will be charged Rs 5. When a passenger travels the same distance with baggage weighing 91-100 kg, the fee will be Rs 47.
IRCTC Luggage Rules for Booked Luggage in Freight Trains
The owner must be present at the station with booked luggage 30 minutes before the departure of the train. Passengers are allowed to pick up their luggage at the destination within half an hour of the train’s arrival. If a passenger cannot reach the indicated time for some reason, then a surcharge will be levied according to the time.
IRCTC Rules Regarding Theft, Damage, and Lost Luggage
In case your luggage is stolen or looted on the moving train. You must immediately contact the vehicle’s contractor/coach attendant/guard or posted GRP personnel. They will provide you with the FIR form, which is supposed to be filled and submitted. The lodged complaint will be forwarded to the police station for necessary action without disrupting your journey. You can also approach RPF help booths for lodging complaints at major railway stations.
Indian Railways Rules for Livestock
Livestock is treated as luggage in train. Under section 77(A), the Indian Railways impose certain rules regarding livestock on trains.
- If you are journeying with your pet or livestock on the train, you must book your pet as luggage. According to IRCTC luggage rules, livestock or pet is treated as luggage on the train.
- A valid ID card, animal certificate, and ticket printout are required to book your pet as baggage in the parcel room. Booking fees start at Rs 30 and increase based on distance.
- Passengers are allowed to carry their pets only on the first AC coach, with the consent of the other passengers travelling along in the same compartment. The pet will be shifted to the guard’s van without any refund in such a situation.
- Pets are kept in guards’ vans or dog boxes with sufficient food and water. Booking for the guard’s van incurs a minimum charge of Rs 10 based on your pet’s weight.
- In case of an unbooked dog found in a first-class compartment, a fine of six times the luggage scale rate will be charged.
- In compliance with rule 153, the Railways are not responsible for any loss, damage, or deterioration during the transportation of animals.
- Large pets such as horses and elephants are not allowed in guard vans. These will be transported by special vehicles at the same rate and conditions as horses.
- Passengers are not permitted to bring pets on the 3rd tier coach, the sleeper car, the chair car, or the 2nd tier coach.
Hope you appreciated the blog and found these luggage rules useful for your safe travels.
Is there any restriction on luggage on the train?
Yes, there is a restriction on luggage on the train you might not know. IRCTC imposes certain luggage rules in trains for passengers travelling on the Indian railway. During the journey, Indian Railways allow luggage weighing 50 kg. If the weight exceeds, passengers will be levied extra charges on the heavy luggage.
Passengers travelling in AC coaches can easily carry up to 70 kg luggage without paying any charges. At the same time, people taking sleeper tickets can take only up to 40 kg of luggage with a free allowance. There is also a restriction on brake vans, parcel bookings, merchandised items, and pets on the train.
How can I book my luggage on the train, according to IRCTC Luggage Rules?
You can book your heavy luggage in the parcel office available at every station. This heavy luggage can be a fruit box, trunks, suitcase, scooty etc. To book your luggage on the train, you need to fill up the parcel form in the Indian Railways parcel office. You will require to Submit ID proof and necessary documents to the officers.
Upon completing every formality, you will be handed over a receipt and parcel that you have to keep safely with yourself. The parcel will reach its destination within 3 to 5 days. IRCTC set rules for booking Jewellery in train only if the owner is well-versed with the documents needed.
Safety Precautions while carrying luggage on the train?
To travel safely on the train, we must be careful about our belongings. Listed below is the safety precaution while carrying luggage on the train.
- Lock your bag well and tie it through the ring attached underneath the train seat to prevent it from theft or robbery.
- Do not travel with expensive items; if you carry gold, money, etc., make sure to transfer it in your small bag and keep it below your head while sleeping for safe travelling.
- Avoid going to the washroom when the train moves slowly or departs from any station. Wait till the train moves at the speed of 40–50 kmph.
- In case of parcel luggage, ensure that your luggage is packed safely. Also, the parcel luggage’s name and address must be mentioned neatly to avoid any damage or loss.
- Offensive articles, Explosive, dangerous, inflammable articles, Empty gas cylinders
Dead poultry, Game, Acids and all corrosive substances are not allowed.
Are you planning to travel on Christmas eve? And, looking for tips on trains and travelling?
Log in to the RailMitra website and get the latest Special Trains and Rail News updates. You can use this portal to get insight into train fare, seat availability, train schedule, live train running status and PNR status. Hurry up! Download RailMitra App to order and enjoy food while on the train.