Motorcycles are one of the favourite vehicles of travel enthusiasts. Travelling on a motorbike makes many feel like a free & energetic bird in the entire space. If you are an ardent bike lover and got transferred to a different city, you must be in a state of bewilderment, and questions regarding the relocation of your bike start haunting you every hour. But it’s time to stop worrying about your favourite ride partner.
Because Indian Railways, through its extensive services offered to the travellers, have made such luggage transportation very simple and easy. Being the world’s 4th largest network, Indian Railways connects all the major to minor cities of India. It is one of the most considerable modes for the transportation of heavy goods.
Advantages of Transporting Your Vehicle via Indian Railways
- Cost-effective: It’s the only reason why Railways are called the “transport lifeline of the nation.” Since it’s a government undertaking, the prices are less than other modes. Shipping your vehicle via Indian railways is cost-effective and easy. A private transportation company may charge double or triple the rate of Railways.
- Hassle-free procedure: It’s a common notion that Indian Railways have very complex rules to transport our vehicles or any other heavy goods from one location to another. Even the hassles are less in comparison to different modes of shipment. After adopting digitization by Indian railways, information is easily available online.
- Safety and security: Do not panic! Your vehicle is in the safe hands of Indian Railways. After all formality and long procedures, it will reach the desired destination you want. Indian Railways are responsible for the vehicle they are transferring and assure its safety to the traveller.
- Faster than Shipping: Railways follow a fixed route and time that may result in the fastest moving of goods. In addition, the carrying capacity of railways is large, which suits the transportation of heavy goods like two-wheelers.
Indian Railways’ Rules for Two Wheeler Transportation
The procedure to transport motorcycles by train is convenient and chief from other resources of the currier. But, You need to consider somes rules for shipping your bike from one state to another via railways.
It may sound strange, but there are certain rules to packing your two-wheeler vehicle before transportation by rail. Good packing will ensure safety from any damages. Bring your motorbike one day before the station premises where vendors are present to pack the scooter. Packing a motorbike is the sole responsibility of the bike owner. Either get your bike packed by the vendors or a professional packer. You may use jute bags, foam, and cardboards for better protection. In addition, Dismantle the rear mirrors of the bike and pack them separately. It will protect your motorcycle from any cracks and damage.
Before packing the motorbike, make sure that no petrol is left in the scooter’s tank. The officials will inspect your two-wheeler and the presence of fuel in the tank; if detected, it may not qualify for transportation. There is a fine of Rs. 1000 and railway authorities may even file a case against you, resulting in imprisonment from 6 months to 2 years if they find petrol in your motorcycle.
Mention the originating station and the destination station on a piece of cardboard in large and easily readable letters. Tie it around the neck or any part of the bike for proper vision.
Indian Railways provides cover for the goods transportation if it gets lost. In the case of insurance for a two-wheeler vehicle parcel, prices play a vital role. If you declare the price of a bike or scooter is more than 10,000, you will need to pay a 1% extra charge. So you may consider mentioning the low value of the motorcycle on the form as you will be charged for the insurance on it. The higher you declare the bike’s worth, the higher the insurance amount payable. However, you can provide the exact amount of your bike for the safe side. If your motorcycle accidentally gets lost, the Indian Railways will repay the same value mentioned in the form.
Methods of Transportation of Motor Bike: Parcel Or Luggage
Railways have made two choices available for travellers to transport their vehicles from one city to another. You can ship your vehicle as a “Parcel” or a “Luggage.” RailMitra will make you aware of the ways to export the motorbike.
Things to Know if You Want to Ship Your Bike as a Parcel
- If you are not travelling by train with your vehicle, You can book your bike as a parcel.
- The parcel method of transportation is less costly than language.
- Visit the parcel office with your two wheelers registration certificate and a Government ID proof like PAN Card, Aadhar Card or Driving Licence to book your bike as a parcel.
- Pack your two-wheelers properly and ensure no fuel is left in the tank.
- Mention the originating and destination stations on a piece of cardboard clear and visible on a cardboard. The card board should be tied to the two wheelers. You may tie the cardboard to the neck of the scooter.
- Fill out the forwarding note (Transport Requisition Form) with the originating station and destination station, postal address, make of vehicle, registration number, vehicle weight, vehicle value, etc.
- The charges for transport will vary. It depends on the train, distance covered, and weight of the motorbike. The amount has to be paid at the time of booking, and the officer will issue a waybill for reference. Retain the bill safely.
- Now, it’s the responsibility of the Railways to upload and transfer your bike to the destination station.
- Provide the waybill to the officer while collecting the motorbike. The waybill, once surrendered, will not be given back.
Things to Know if You Want to Ship Your Bike as a Luggage
- If you are travelling by the same train to the destination, the bike can be booked as luggage.
- Reach at least half an hour before your train’s actual departure time as luggage booking begins 2-3 hours before the departure of the train. Note that if you wish to carry your bike as luggage, you must have a confirmed ticket. Officer will ask for the journey ticket while booking your luggage.
- The packing, labelling, and marking procedures will be the same as booking a two-wheeler as parcels.
- The officers determine parcel rates. However, anyone can check parcel rates online at the Indian Railways’ official site. On payment of prescribed charges the railway officer will issue a luggage ticket and make an endorsement on your train ticket.
- According to accommodation availability, your motorcycle will be dispatched by the same train.
- To collect your bike, move to the luggage office and present the original ticket and the luggage endorsement for taking your motorcycle. Surrender the luggage ticket and get a gate pass to the luggage area.
Tips for the Smooth Procedure of Transportation of Bikes
- While transporting a bike as luggage, make sure you reach the station a few hours before as packing takes time.
- Book the parcel for transportation at least 1 or 2 days in advance. There are chances that the luggage compartment will be loaded with other goods, and there might be no space for your bike. It can delay transportation.
- Collect your bike from the desired station on time, as late in the collection would lead to parking charges. This charge is ₹ 1 for every 50 kg per hour.
- If your parcel or luggage did not arrive or is lost, file a complaint.
- You cannot include Helmet or any other accessories while sending the motorcycle as a parcel. Don’t leave the key with your bike and turn the ignition off.
- Minor damages or scratches are common. Be mentally prepared to face the same.
Is It Safe to Send Bikes Through the Railway?
Indian Railways is a government firm that you can trust regarding the safety of your motorcycle. However, minor damages or scratches may occur.
What Is the Cost of Transferring a Bike From Train?
Motorbike transportation from train costs according to the weight of the bike and the distancebetween your home station and the desired station. In addition, there will be a charge for packing that starts with 300 and insurance that costs 1% of your bike price. However, there is no insurance charge for the bike price declaration of RS—10,000 and less.
How Long Can I Keep My Bike at the Railway Station?
There are 6 hours for collecting the Bike Parcel. After that, a penalty of ₹10 is imposed per hour. The Parcel office time is 10 Am to 5 Pm. Therefore collect your bike during this period. Keep tracking your train from which Railways is delivering your motorcycle.
With RailMitra, you can track live train status to know the current location of the train and collect your bike timely. Besides, with RailMitra, you can also check out trains between stations, train schedules, seat availability in trains, the PNR status of your train ticket, and book your food on wheel.
RailMitra is a user-friendly app and website that helps rail passengers plan their journey smartly and efficiently.