If you have ever been in a situation when you had to cancel rail tickets online, then you must be aware that there are certain ticket cancellation charges levied by IRCTC. If you are looking for ticket cancellation rules and IRCTC ticket cancellation charges, then you don’t have to go through the official lengthy document of IRCTC. To make things simple and easy to understand for all, we have curated a list of all the rules and regulations for irctc ticket cancellation. Whenever you place a ticket cancellation request through IRCTC or a PRS counter, then depending on days before the actual departure of the train, there are certain railway ticket cancellation charges levied to passengers.
During the coronavirus pandemic, if you need to travel in trains, you should follow necessary precautions to protect yourself from coronavirus disease while travelling.
IRCTC Confirm Ticket Cancellation Rules
Indian Railways has devised different ticket cancellation rules for all passengers. If you are looking for IRCTC ticket cancellation and IRCTC cancellation charges, then you are in the right place. Know all about confirmed ticket cancellation charges for Sleeper and AC compartments.
1. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure of train, ticket cancellation charges are as follows:
AC Tier-3 Class / Executive Class
AC Tier-2 Class / First Class
AC Tier-3 / AC Chair Car / AC 3 Economy
Second Seating Class
2. When a confirmed train ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled train departure, ticket cancelation fees will be 25 percent of the fare according to the minimum flat rate set out in the table above.
3. Within 12 hours and up to four hours before the scheduled departure, train ticket cancellation charges would be 50% of the fare charged according to the minimum rate of cancellation. Upon preparation of the train chart, e-tickets can not be cancelled. No refund of the ticket would be available if the confirmed ticket is not canceled or TDR (ticket deposit receipt) is not filed online up to four hours before the scheduled train departure, according to the IRCTC website.
RAC and Waitlist Train Tickets Cancellation Charges:
Looking for train ticket cancellation rules for RAC tickets? Know about all the refund rules of RAC and waitlist tickets. A refund is given on a RAC ticket (reservation against cancellation) up to 30 minutes prior to departure of trains. Following are the IRCTC ticket cancellation and refund rules for waitlist tickets that you should know:
- RAC e-tickets can be canceled through the internet and the refund balance will be credited to the account from which the booking transaction took place, after deducting the applicable ticket cancelation fees.
- Those passengers having confirmed, RAC, or waitlisted tickets will get full refund on their tickets (no cancellation charges levied) provided that the train is running late by more than 3 hours from its scheduled departure time. The only caveat is that all tickets must be surrendered prior to actual departure of the train.;
- If your train is cancelled due to any unforeseen circumstances, then full refund will be granted automatically. There is no need to file a TDR for getting refunds.
- If you have booked your ticket through any of the Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counter, then you can apply for refund within three days, excluding the day of train departure.
Now that you know all about ticket cancellation rules, you can file TDR online in simple ways.
Tatkal Ticket Cancellation Charges
If you have booked tatkal tickets but due to any unforeseen circumstances, you need to cancel tatkal tickets online, then you should know about different IRCTC cancellation policy.
- No refund whatsoever shall be granted on cancellation of confirmed tatkal tickets.
- If you have more than one booking on a single PNR in which some tickets are confirmed and others are waitlisted or RAC, then train ticket cancellation charges are different. As per IRCTC website, full refund of fare less clerkage shall be granted for confirmed tickets provided that ticket shall be cancelled online or online TDR shall be filed for all the passengers up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.
How to Cancel Train Tickets?
Due to the recent coronavirus outbreak, we suggest you cancel your trips and postpone your travel to be on the safe side. If you have already booked tickets for your journey but you are being reluctant to travel due to coronavirus fear, then you can easily cancel your train tickets.
Everyone doesn’t know about ways to cancel train tickets online. If you are also the one who wants to know about the ticket cancellation process through PRS counters, We have it all covered in this blog.
There are two ways you can cancel train tickets:
- Go to the official website of IRCTC www.irctc.co.in
- Login with your username and password
- Go to MY ACCOUNT> My Transactions> Booked Ticket History
- Select the PNR which you want to cancel
- Click on cancel
After deducting the applicable ticket cancellation charges, refund will be granted in the actual mode of payment. You can also cancel train tickets online through the official IRCTC app.
- Go to your nearest railway reservation counter
- Fill up the cancellation form with all your journey details like PNR number, name, journey route, journey date, etc.
- Submit the form
- Collect your refund amount from the counter
Recommended Read: Lower Berth Quota for Senior Citizens: Rules and Allotment