Indian Railway is a vast mode of transport; millions of people rely on it to travel from one place to another. To make the train journey more comfortable the network provides numerous tools for rail passengers to check the PNR status of booked tickets, live train running status, trains between stations, seat availability in trains, book and cancel tickets online, order restaurant-style food on the train, and many more. In all that, there is an Indian Railway destination alert service for rail passengers.
The feature benefits night travellers as many need to stay awake the whole night because of the fear of missing the destination. But, with this railways’ smart technology, passengers don’t need to worry. They can set the destination alert call or wake up alarm and sleep comfortably on the train during overnight trains.
What is a Destination Alert Call in Indian Railways?
Destination alert is an Indian Railways service that alerts the rail passenger about their destination station during night hours (11 PM to 7 AM). The feature works for selected long-distance trains in which passengers receive an alert call 20 minutes before the train’s scheduled arrival at their deboard station.
How to Set a Destination Alert Call on Running Trains?
It is a very easy process. Passengers can set the destination alert on running trains in three ways: Short Message Service (SMS), Railway Enquiry service with assistance from customer service executives, and IVR.
To set the alert with IVR, follow these steps mentioned here:
- Dial 139 from your mobile phone on which you want your alert call.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Press 7 from the IVR menu.
- Press 2 for the destination alert. You will be asked for a 10-digit PNR number.
- Enter the PNR number of the ticket.
- Press 1 for confirmation that you want to receive an alert call.
The destination alert has been set; you will receive a message stating that you will receive the alert call before the train reaches your destination station.
To set an alert with the Customer service executive, You will need to
- Dial 139 from the mobile phone on which you want the wake-up alert.
- Select your preferred language in which you want to talk with a customer executive.
- Choose to talk with the Railway Enquiry service. You will be asked for the 10-digit unique number of your tickets, called the PNR number.
- Share your PNR number with the railway enquiry service executive.
- Reconfirm your mobile number and ask them to set an alert call for you. The executive will assure you about your alert call.
You will also receive a message stating the information about it.
To set an alert with SMS as follows:
- Send an SMS ALERT<PNR NUMBER> on 139.
You will receive a confirmation message to get an alert call on your mobile number with the Destination station name.
What is the Wake-up Alarm Service of Indian Railways?
The wake-up alarm facility of Indian Railways is one of the most useful rail services for solo and night travellers. It helps them relax on the train and informs them prior about their upcoming destination. Moreover, the facility alerts the passengers before the actual arrival of the train.
How to Set a Wake-up Alarm on Running Trains?
You can set the wake-up alarm destination alert of Indian Railways with IVR and a customer service executive. It follows a similar process to the Alert call with some small changes.
To set the alarm with IVR, you can follow these steps:
- Dial 139 from your mobile phone.
- Choose your understandable language.
- Press 7 on your dial pad
- Press 1 for setting the wake-up call
- Enter the 10-digit PNR number of your tickets
- Press 1 to confirm your wake-up call.
You will receive a message confirmation holding information about your wake-up call.
To set a wake-up alarm with the help of an Indian Railway customer service executive, you need to :
- Dial 139 from a mobile phone on which you need the alert.
- Select your preferred language.
- Choose to talk with a customer service executive.
- Convey your PNR number to them.
- Reconfirm your mobile number to set the wake-up call.
The customer executive will assure you about your wake-up call. However, you will also receive a message stating the confirmation of your wake-up alarm.
Indian Railways Applicable Charges For Destination Alert Services
Indian Railways implement some charges on passengers for its destination alert services.
- Call Charges for Destination Alert Service is RS. 1.20 for metro cities or areas for a pulse of 60 seconds.
- Call Charges for non-metro cities or areas, is RS. 2 for a pulse of 60 seconds.
- The per SMS cost for Destination Alert Service is RS 3.
Features of Destination Alert Services
Destination Alert Service is an important service of Indian Railways. Here are some features of it:
- Indian Railways provides destination alert services from 11 PM to 7 AM.
- It alerts passengers 20 minutes before the arrival of the train at the deboard station.
- The destination alert can be of two types: Destination Alert Call and Wake-up Alarm.
- Destination Alert call notifies before the scheduled arrival of the train at the destination station, whereas the Wake-up alarm alerts the passengers before the actual arrival of the train at the destination.
- The facility is only applicable for long-distance trains.
- The service is provided only for RAC or confirmed ticket holders.
How does PNR Number Help in Getting Destination Alert Services?
PNR number plays a huge role in receiving destination alert services as you need to share your PNR number to get these services. Additionally, you will need to check your PNR status to know whether your ticket has confirmed status or not. However, Destination alert services of Indian Railways are only applicable for confirmed and RAC tickets.
How Is Destination Alert Service Changing the Travel Experience of Rail Passengers?
Earlier, whether passengers book their tickets in AC, First Class, or Sleeper, they avoid sleeping because they fear that they will sleep and miss their destination. But now, with the facility of IRCTC Destination alert services, they can sleep comfortably. As, the destination alert feature notifies them 20 minutes before reaching the destination and make the rail journey experience more preferable.
Besides, this destination alert service, Indian Railways introduced multiple services to make the travel by Indian rail comfortable. These services are facility to book IRCTC ticket online, e-catering services, check PNR status, train schedule, rail fare, station details, and live train running status, etc. To avail of these services, there are many rail apps available on the play store and app market. RailMitra is one of them. You can use the RailMitra rail enquiry app and website to check PNR status, train schedule, order online food, and stay updated with the live train running status.
RailMitra is an artificial intelligence-based railway enquiry app that helps rail passengers search, plan, execute, and reach the destination station comfortably.