Manduadih railway station of Varanasi will now be called Banaras railway station. The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has approved to change the name of Manduadih railway station to ‘Banaras’ in Varanasi district.
Rail News: The Union Home Ministry has approved to change the name of Manduadih Railway Station in Varanasi district of Uttar Pradesh. Railways officials gave this information. Manduadih station will be renamed as Banaras Junction. The ministry has approved the proposal related to this of Home Affairs. According to Railways officials, the Home Ministry gave its approval to the project to change the name of Manduadih Railway station.
NOC Has Been Issued for Changing the Name of Manduadih Railway Station
An official of the Ministry of Home Affairs said that a ‘No Objection Certificate’ has been issued to change the name of Manduadih railway station to ‘Banaras’. The Ministry of Home Affairs consults the agencies concerned as per the current guidelines for changing the name. Another official said that he approves the proposal to change the name of any place only after obtaining a no-objection certificate from the Ministry of Railways, Department of Posts and Survey of India.
Related: Order Food in Train at Manduadih Junction
Manduadih Station was Named After Mandav Rishi
The long-standing demand from Kashi has been fulfilled. In August 2019, DM Surendra Singh sent a proposal to the government to rename the Manduadih railway station of the North Eastern Railway. It is believed that Manduadih station was named after Mandav Rishi. During the Lok Sabha elections, the change of name was announced by the then Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha. In this regard, he also wrote a letter to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
Credit for the Change of Name Goes to Former MoS Railways Manoj Sinha
The demand to change the name of Manduadih railway station has been raised from time to time. But to give it a form, former Union Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Kumar Sinha promised to change the name of Manduadih station while addressing a public meeting held at Edeh village in Rohania in the year 2014-15. After the approval of the ministry, Manoj Sinha had extended the file to the state and the Center.
The Cass Banarasi Foundation and the Janajagruti Samiti also advocated for change the name of this station. CAS Ratnarash Kumar Srivastava, a member of the Banarasi Foundation, said it was an essential step, and we appreciate the decision of the central government.
PM Modi had inaugurated Manduadih Railway Station
Manduadih railway station is situated in the city of Varanasi. While former Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha, was serving his tenure, the Manduadih railway station received renovation along with the expansion of its premises. It was then inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi. Through this station, several trains to Delhi, Bihar, West Bengal and Maharashtra are run daily. Apart from Manduadih, trains also operate from Varanasi Junction and Kashi railway stations in Varanasi.
Many More Names of Railway Stations Changed in UP
Even before Manduadih, the names of Mughalsarai and Allahabad Junction railway stations of Uttar Pradesh were also changed. Mughalsarai Junction was named as Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction, and Allahabad Junction now called Prayagraj Junction. There was also a lot of opposition against the change of name.
Airport-Like Facilities Are Available At This Railway Station
- Passenger facilities at Manduadih station are developed on the pattern of airports. This terminal station has a first-class spacious waiting area, circulating area, waiting room, AC lounge etc.
- The panoramic view at the second entrance attracts travellers. Here in the circulating area, Greenery Park, water feature and the vast access make the passenger feel like the airport.
- This station is fitted with LED lights. The platform has gleaming stainless steel benches.
- The waiting hall is equipped with modern facilities, including AC rooms. It looks completely different from the standard railway stations of the country.
- On regular days, 22 trains depart from here for various routes. There is a footfall of 14 thousand passengers daily.
- Like the airports, there are many new things to see along with the facilities here, such as Gandhiji’s statue made of nut-bolts, electronic reservation chart display boards, entry and exit on platforms like airports, heritage engines with illusion light-sound-smoke system, etc. Reviving the ancient splendour of Kashi, this station is one of the most beautiful stations in the country.
Trains Operating From Manduadih Railway Station
There are a total of eight platforms at Manduadih railway station equipped with airport-like facilities. Half a dozen priority trains including Varanasi-New Delhi’s most famous train Sivaganga Express, Bundelkhand Express for Gwalior, Link Express for Khajuraho are operated on its route. Only the Sivaganga Express is being run during the Corona period.
Meanwhile, the North Eastern Railway’s PRO Ashok Kumar said that the official naming letter has not yet arrived.
Related: Manduadih to New Delhi Trains
The New Name Will Reveal the Unique Heritage of Banaras
According to an officer of the Varanasi division, the name Manduadih was not pleasant to hear. It also did not show the unique culture of Banaras. There was a thought about changing its name for a long time. Due to the Loksabha elections announcement, the matter was pending.
Banaras is the parliamentary constituency of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He has won the election from here again this time. The government’s emphasis has been on improving the city’s infrastructure. Every year, millions of tourists visit Banaras from India and abroad.
Local People Are Happy With the Change of Name
Two names of the same city are Varanasi and Banaras. Both are equally world-famous. One is classical, and the other is Bhades. Being situated between the two rivers named Varuna and Asi, it was named Varanasi. After seeing the prosperity here, it was called Bana ka Rasa, i.e. Banaras. Both names are pleasant to Varanasi lovers. The people of Banaras have welcomed the renaming of Manduadih to Banaras.
Kashi Vishvanath Temple is Just 4 km Away From Manduadih
Travellers can reach the temple easily by auto-rickshaw or taxi. The distance from Varanasi railway station to Sri Kashi Vishwanath temple is 5.0 km, and the length of the temple from Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction is 17 km. From Manduadih railway station the temple is just 4.0 km away. Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the most famous temples of Varanasi, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is also called the Golden Temple.
Best Places To Visit Near Manduadih
- Sarnath: Located at a distance of 8 km from Manduadih railway station
- Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple: Located 4 km from Manduadih railway station
- Assi Ghat: Located 8 km from Manduadih railway station.
- Manikarnika Ghat: Located at a distance of 4.9 km from Manduadih railway station
- New Vishwanath Temple: Located at a distance of 10.8 km from Manduadih railway station
Hotels Near Manduadih Railway Station
- Hotel Madin: Located at a distance of 1.9 km from the railway station.
- Taj Nadesar Palace: It is located 1.2 km from the railway station.
- Rivatas Ideal: It is located at a distance of 2.1 km from the railway station.
- Ramada Plaza JHV:7 km from the railway station.
- Radisson Hotel: It is located 1.6 km from the railway station.
Stay updated to the latest Indian Railways News with RailMitra!