Rail News: The Indian Railways is now operating trains from Bengaluru city station to the newly built Kempegowda International Airport, Devanahalli (KIAD) railway halt station.
The South Western Railway has begun service to the Kempegowda International Airport, Devanahalli (KIAD) railway station situated at the edge of the airport boundary. The new train service will provide the first non-road, faster and low-cost alternative to the travellers to reach the Kempegowda Airport. Passengers can catch a train from the Bengaluru city and reach the KIA halt station at a low price from Rs. 10 to Rs. 15. A total of five pairs of trains will run from the city to the Kempegowda airport halt station. Bengaluru International Airport Limited (BIAL) is operating a shuttle bus service from the halt railway station to the terminal area. Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said that these train services would not only benefit lots of passengers but also reduce traffic congestion drastically.
Where is the KIAD railway station located?
The newly built KIAD station is located close to the northwest boundary of the Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru. The station is around 3.5 kilometres away from the terminal. This railway station is on the Yelahanka-Chikkaballapur-Kolar railway line.
How many trains have stoppages at KIAD halt railway station?
There are five trains that arrive at Kempegowda airport halt railway station:
- Trains from KSR Bengaluru City will leave once at 4.45 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- Other trains will depart from Yelahanka, Yeshwantpur and Bangalore Cantonment stations at 7:00 a.m., 8:30 a.m. and 5:55 p.m., respectively.
From KIAD railway station to the Bengaluru city:
- Trains will depart at 6.42 p.m. and 10.37 p.m. for KSR Bengaluru, and
- Other trains will depart at 6.22 a.m., 7.50 a.m. and 8.21 a.m. from Yelahanka station, Bangalore Cantonment and Yeshwantpur stations, respectively.
All these trains will run six days a week, except on Sundays. More trains are expected to halt at the railway station in the coming months considering the requirements.
How much time does it take to reach the Kempegowda Airport from Bengaluru city?
Trains running from Bangalore Cantonment and KSR Bengaluru railway stations to the Airport take approx 60-70 min, while from Yeshwantpur it takes around 45 min. From Yelahanka, the train takes around 20 min.
How much does it cost from Bengaluru city to Airport?
Tickets fare from Bengaluru city to KIA will be in the range of Rs.10 to Rs.15 for normal passenger trains and Rs. 30 for the express train. The monthly passes will also be available soon.
At present passengers travelling to the airport need to spend Rs. 270 via bus and private taxi cab operators were charging Rs. 700 to Rs. 1, 200 for a one-way ride.
How can passengers reach Kempegowda Airport from the KIA halt railway station?
Shuttle buses are being operated free of cost by the Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) to multiple parts of the Airport. The timing of the shuttle service is synchronised with the train timings.
The shuttle bus stops at Cargo Village, Bravo, Air India SATS, Menzies, Alpha 2, Departures, and Arrivals points in the airport premises.
The bus travel from the start to end stop takes approx 20 minutes, in both directions.
Also Read: Nearest railway stations to Bangalore
List of Trains between Bengaluru city to the Kempegowda Airport
Stoppages and train schedule between Bengaluru city and Kempegowda Airport halt station:
Train timetable from Kempegowda halt station to Bengaluru city and vice versa:
- Train no. 06269 starts at 5:55 p.m. from Bengaluru Cantonment and stops at KIA halt at 6.50 p.m.
- Train no. 06270 starts at Yesvantpur at 5.30 a.m., stops at KIA at 8.21 a.m. and terminates at Yesvantpur at 9.25 a.m.
- Train no. 06279 starts at Yesvantpur at 8:30 a.m. and stops at KIAD 9:16 a.m.
- Train no. 06280 starts at 4:00 p.m. from Bangapet, stops at KIA Halt at 6:42 p.m. and terminates at KSR at 8:20 p.m.
- Train no 06283 starts at 9:00 p.m. from KSR, reaches KIA Halt at 10:05 p.m.
- Train no 06284 starts at 7:45 a.m. from Devanahalli, stops at KIA at 7:50 a.m. and terminates at Bengaluru Cantonment at 8:50 a.m.
- Train no 06285 starts at 4:45 a.m. from KSR Bengaluru and reaches KIAD halt at 5.50 a.m.
- Train no. 06286 starts at 10:30 p.m., reaches KIAD at 10:37 p.m., Cantonment at 11:35 p.m. and terminates at City at 11:55 p.m.
- Train no. 06287 starts at 7:00 a.m. from Yelahanka and stops at KIA halt at 7.20 a.m.
- Train no 06288 starts at 6:22 a.m. from KIA, reaches Yelahanka at 6:50 a.m.
What are the facilities available at KIAD railway station?
The Kempegowda International Airport halt railway station, with a 230-metre-long platform has various amenities: a ticket counter, coffee shop, a concourse area, separate restrooms for males and females, granite benches for seating, drinking water, toilets, security system and others. Passenger Information System (PIS) showing flight departure timing is also displayed.
For the latest rail news and updates, you can follow Indian Railway News on RailMitra!