What is the Retiring Room in Indian Railways?
The IRCTC retiring room is the lodging offered by Railways and are available at all major railway stations, where a confirmed passenger can stay for a few days. There are multiple room options available such as Single, Double, and Dormitory type with AC and non-AC combinations. But, to book a retiring room at the railway station, passengers need to have a confirmed or RAC train ticket. Passengers can book retiring rooms at the source as well as destination railway stations. This is the service provided by the Railways for passengers’ convenience. The retiring rooms at stations can be booked online as well as through offline mode.
How To Book IRCTC Retiring Room Online?
- Go to the website of IRCTC Tourism and click on Main Menu Icon and choose the Retiring Rooms option.
- Enter your ten-digit PNR Number and click on the button.
- If you want to book a retiring room at the source railway station, then click on ‘Book on Source’, and if you want to book at the destination station, then click ‘Book on destination’ button.
- Enter the check-in/check-out date, type of room such as AC or Non-AC and Bed type (Single or Double).
- If your source and destination station does not appear, then go to the option ‘Book on Source Principal’ or choose ‘Book on destination Principal’ accordingly.
- Fill all the information and press the ‘Check Availability’ button. It will show the availability of rooms.
- Select your choice of room and duration of stay.
- You will be redirected to the IRCTC login page. Now enter your login ID and password. If you do not have IRCTC registered account, then you can select the Guest login option.
- If you need to book rooms for more than one passenger, then select the room and bed for every passenger and select the ID card type and enter the ID number.
- Then click on the proceed button and make the payment online. Now, your retiring room is booked.
Take the print out of the booking receipt and carry it while travelling. You will need to show this while entering the retiring room.
How to Book IRCTC Retiring Room Offline?
- Visit your nearest main Railway Station having a retiring room facility.
- Provide your PNR number, along with a status of confirmed ticket or RAC.
The offline Retiring Room Booking Facility at railway stations is usually located inside or adjacent to the Current Booking or Enquiry Counter, CTI Office, and serviced by On-duty TE of the Station.
For How Long Passengers Can Book IRCTC Retiring Room?
Passengers can book retiring rooms for only 12 hours to 48 hours. More than this duration, travellers are not allowed to occupy the retiring room.
Which Type of Retiring Rooms Are Available?
Retiring rooms are available as Single room, Double room and Dormitory type room with an AC or a non-AC facility. The Dormitory is a single hall where many beds are available. There is a shared washroom to use for all people. You can reserve the rooms for a minimum of 12 hours and a maximum for 48 hours.
Images of different types of retiring rooms:
Single bed Room:
Double bed Room:
Dormitory Room Image:
How Can I Cancel a Retiring Room Booking?
Passengers can cancel the booking of the retiring room through the website of IRCTC. Follow the process to cancel your retiring room booking.
- Visit the website of IRCTC.
- Go to the ‘My Account’ option, click on the “Retiring Room” tab and then select the Retiring Room booked.
- Choose the ticket that you wanted to cancel.
- Then, click on the red cross button to proceed with the cancellation.
Cancellation Charges for Retiring Rooms
If you want to cancel the booking of the retiring room, then you need to follow the rules given below:
- A deduction of 10% on cancellation before 48 hrs from the day of occupation.
- If the occupation timing is less than 48 hrs, then there is a deduction of 50% on cancellation.
- A 100% deduction upon the cancellation on the same day of occupation.
- Only room-wise retiring room cancellation is allowed. Passenger-wise cancellation is not allowed.
- Suppose more than one room/dormitory is booked and cancellation is being done for a few room/dormitory. In that case, cancellation rules 1, 2 and 3 will be applicable for room/dormitory as per the case.
Further, there would be an extra 12% GST on cancellation charges.
Room Accommodation Rules:
Before booking an Indian railways retiring room first, take a look at the following chart:
- For the single passenger, one room with a single bed or one room with a double bed or one bed in the dormitory.
- For two passengers, one room (double bed) or two beds in the dormitory.
- For three passengers, one room (double bed) + one room (single bed) or three beds in the dormitory.
- For four passengers, two rooms (double bed) or four beds in the dormitory can be taken up.
- For five passengers, two rooms (double beds) or five beds in the dormitory.
- For six passengers, two rooms (double beds) or six beds in the dormitory room.
Tariff Calculation Tables
No. of Hours – Proposed Charges (base 100 for 24 hrs)
- Up to 3 hours – Rs. 25
- 4-6 hours – Rs. 40
- 7-9 hours – Rs. 50
- 10-12 hours – Rs. 60
- 13-15 hours – Rs. 70
- 16-18 hours – Rs. 80
- 19-21 hours – Rs. 90
- 22-24 hours – Rs. 100
- Beyond 24 hrs As per the above charges
- 48 hours – Rs. 200
Extension Charges For IRCTC Retiring Room
If a retiring room is being booked in a single transaction for more than 24 hours duration in a combination of time slots (12+24, 24+12 and 24+24), then second booking slot is assumed as an extension of first slot booking and 25% extra tariff on the second slot is charged.
First Slot (Tariffs) Second Slot (Tariffs) Total Tariffs
12 Hours (100) 12 Hours (100) 100+100 = 200
12 Hours (100) 24 Hours (100) 100+(200+50) = 350
24 Hours (200) 12 Hours (100) 200+(100+25) = 325
24 Hours (200) 24 Hours (200) 200+(200+50) = 450
IRCTC Service Charges for Retiring Rooms
- For a retiring room, you are required to pay a service charge of Rs 20 up to 24 hours.
- You will be charged an amount of Rs. 10 for a dormitory bed up to 24 hours.
- You will be charged Rs 40 For a retiring room up to 48 hours.
- For a dormitory room up to 48 hours, you will be charged Rs. 20.
A service tax of @12.36% of the tariff of the retiring room/bed will be charged to you.
Rules for Hourly Booking of Retiring Room
- Reservation Period – Minimum reservation period allowed is 3 hours and maximum reservation period is 48 hours for the available single and double rooms and dormitories.
- Non- Principal Block – The 12 hours period from 09 hrs to 21 hours called as Non-Principal Block. The Non-Principal Block can be booked by passenger hourly that is a minimum of 3 hours and beyond.
- Principal Block – The 12 hours period from 21 hours to 09 hours called as Principal Block. The principal block cannot be booked partially that is hourly bookings would be not allowed in Principal Block in general.
- If the requested reservation Check-in is before the 21 hours and check-out is after 21 hours, and before the 9 hours then reservation would be allowed from before the 21 hours to the 09 hours.
- If the requested reservation Check-in is 21 hours after and before the 9 hours while check-out is 09 hours or after the 9 hours, then reservation would be allowed from 21 hours to 09 hours or after the 9 hours.
- If the requested reservation Check-in is 21 hours after and before the 9 hours while check-out before 09 hours, then reservation would be allowed from 21 hours to 09 hours.
- If the requested reservation check-in before the 21 hours and check-out is after the 09 hours then booking would be allowed for the requested time period.
Note:- The hourly booking of retiring room would be allowed in the Principal Block for any rooms or dormitories only if the booking of the principal Block get checked out earlier to the check out time (on or after 09 hours) that is prior to the 09 hours.
Some Important Rules Applied with the Booking of Retiring Rooms
- One bed booking per PNR is applicable, But if five passengers are there in one PNR then five beds you can book.
- Passengers cannot book the retiring rooms with a waiting ticket. Passengers travelling with confirm ticket or RAC ticket can only book the retiring rooms.
- When the retiring rooms are booked online, it could not be cancelled offline or from the counter.
- Identity proof is required while booking retiring rooms.
- Booking of the retiring room is available between 12:00 AM to 11:30 PM.
There are many facilities provided by Railways for the passengers. Post waiting in a retiring room at the source railway station, when a passenger will board the train, it would not be less than a treat because here you can relish your journey with great dining experience offered by RailMitra. RailMitra, e-catering partner of RailRestro (authorized partner of IRCTC) delivers online food in train at more than 600+ stations to satiate your taste bud and hunger. Download the RailMitra app and get the food delivered right to your berth.