Indian Railways run many trains across the county and provide connectivity to major cities, towns, and villages across India. According to the official website of Indian Railways, it has a total network of 1,08,706 kilometres over the standard gauge, metre gauge and narrow gauge and operates 11,000 trains every day, of which 7000 are passenger trains. The Railways connects the national capital, Delhi with most of the major cities across the country by the series of Rajdhani Express premium trains.
Rajdhani Express trains are fully air-conditioned trains which provide delicious meals onboard along with a bottle of water. These trains are high-speed trains of India. Rajdhani express – Mumbai to Delhi (12951/12952) is the fastest Rajdhani express amongst all. It has three travel classes, including AC tier 1, AC tier 2 and AC tier 3.
You can check the Rajdhani Express timetable, route, fare and all other info from train enquiry app, RailMitra.
What are Rajdhani Express Trains?
The word Rajdhani means ‘the capital’ in Indian languages. As the name suggests, Rajdhani Express trains connect New Delhi, India’s national capital, with the capital cities or the major cities of the country’s several states.
The first Rajdhani Express Train was introduced in 1969, which ran between New Delhi and Howrah in Kolkata. Today, there are currently 24 pairs (48 in total) of Rajdhani trains linking nearly all of India’s major cities to the national capital. Although most of these states only have one Rajdhani train and some states have more than one, such as Maharashtra, West Bengal, Assam, and Odisha.
Rajdhani Express trains are entirely air-conditioned trains, which provide meals onboard and fast travel between cities. Rajdhani Express train tickets can be booked in three train travel classes: AC tier 1, AC tier 2 and AC tier 3.
Facilities of Rajdhani Trains
- Rajdhani is one of the Indian Railways’ premium trains and is also among the fastest trains in the country.
- On the Indian railway’s network, Rajdhani trains are prioritized over the majority other trains.
- These trains have fully air-conditioned coaches. The first fully air-conditioned train launched by Indian Railways is the Rajdhani.
- Rajdhani train ticket charges include food, and you’ll be served meals on board. You will get morning tea, breakfast, lunch, snacks, appetizers, desserts, high tea in the evening, and dinner at night, based on the length and timing of your trip.
- There are both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food options.
- Rajdhani trains have seats in 3 classes of travel, namely 1 AC, 2 AC, and 3 AC. The 1 AC coaches are coupes with locking facilities, while 2 AC coaches have privacy curtains.
- Compared to many other trains, these trains have fewer stops.
- You can also enjoy free Wi-Fi on some Rajdhani Express trains.
- Power ports, reading lights, under-seat luggage facilities, blankets, pillows and bedrolls are additional facilities in Rajdhani trains.
Rajdhani Express Routes
Rajdhani Express trains currently run from and to nearly all Indian states except for Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Rajasthan. Many of these are long-distance trains with a journey time of more than 24 hours.
The shortest Rajdhani Express route is between Delhi and Jammu Tawi. The longest Rajdhani route connects Trivandrum Central in Kerala to Hazrat Nizamuddin in South Delhi.
Shortest and longest Rajdhani Train Routes
The shortest Rajdhani express route connects Delhi and Jammu Tawi (12425). It has the shortest travel time of 9 hours. The total distance is almost 582 km.
The longest Rajdhani express route connectivity is from Trivandrum Central to Hazrat Nizamuddin (12431). The longest Rajdhani express route travel time is 46 hours that covers a distance of 3,149 km.
List of Rajdhani Express Train Time Table, Route and Fares
Rajdhani Express Trains FAQ:
- Q: Does the Rajdhani express fare include the food price?
A: Yes. Rajdhani express ticket prices are inclusive of food charges. No need to pay extra for the food.
- Q: Can I get non-vegetarian meals on Rajdhani trains?
A: Yes. The vegetarian, as well as non-vegetarian food choices, are available in Rajdhani trains for the passengers that are included on a predefined Rajdhani Express food menu list
- Q: Can I book tatkal tickets for Rajdhani train?
A: Yes, Rajdhani train booking for tatkal quota can be made in 2 AC and 3AC travel class of trains. As a general Tatkal reservation rule, no 1 AC seat booking can be made in the tatkal quota of Rajdhani or any other trains.
- Q: Is it compulsory to opt for food given in Rajdhani express?
A: No, It is not mandatory to opt for the Rajdhani train food. You can select the ‘No Food’ option when you book your tickets in Rajdhani train if you want to carry your own food in train.
- Q: If I select the ‘no food’ option, do I get a discount on Rajdhani ticket charges?
A: Yes, you’ll get a little discount on the base fare if you choose the ‘No Food’ option of Rajdhani express food option.
- Q: Will Rajdhani express ticket price change based on my food choice between vegetarian or non-vegetarian food?
A: No, the ticket prices are the same for vegetarian food and non-vegetarian food in Rajdhani.
- Q: Is food permitted in Rajdhani Trains from outside?
A: Yes. Rajdhani trains have no prohibition on carrying in your own food or snacks or purchasing food from stations. You can also get away from the boredom of pantry food by ordering the food on the train from train food apps.
- Q: Do I get a concession for senior citizens on Rajdhani trains?
A: Yes, senior citizen concessions are available in Rajdhani Express trains.
- Q: Are Ladies Quota, Senior Citizen Quota/Lower Berth Quota, etc. apply to Rajdhani trains?
A: Yes. Quotas for women, senior citizens, etc. are available in the Rajdhani trains’ 3 AC and 2 AC trains. In the 1 AC coaches, you can not use these quotas.
- Q: Will I get blankets, linen, bedrolls, pillows, etc. in Rajdhani trains?
A: Yes, you will get blankets, linen, bedrolls, pillows, etc. in Rajdhani trains.
- Q: Are there power ports facilities available in Rajdhani trains for charging cell phones, laptops, etc.?
A: Yes, you will get power ports facilities in Rajdhani trains.
- Q: Are there privacy curtains for the Rajdhani 3 AC coaches?
A: Rajdhani train’s 3 AC coaches do not have privacy curtains. But, 2 AC coaches do have curtains.
- Q: Do Rajdhani train booking have a specific timetable for monsoon?
A: During the monsoon season, Rajdhani trains which pass through the Konkan route have a special timetable.
- Q: How many Rajdhani trains are there?
A: Total 24 pairs (48 in total) of Rajdhani trains are there that connect nearly all major cities in India with Delhi. Majority of these states have only one Rajdhani train and some states like Maharashtra, West Bengal, Assam, Odisha, etc. have more than one Rajdhani train.
- Q: Is water free in Rajdhani Express?
A: Passengers onboard Rajdhani trains get a complimentary water bottle of Rail Neer with a disposable cup. They get another free bottle if their scheduled train journey is of more than 20 hours.
- Q: How many water bottles are provided in Rajdhani Express?
A: One bottle of 1-litre Rail Neer Packaged Drinking Water with disposal cups and newspaper is to be provided to every passenger on board.
- Q: What is the fare of Rajdhani Express from Mumbai to Delhi?
A: The New Delhi-Mumbai Central Rajdhani Express departs from New Delhi railway station every day and reaches Mumbai Central on the next day. Rajdhani Express from Mumbai to Delhi Fare for AC 3 is ₹ 2,725, ₹ 3,825 for AC tier 2 and ₹ 4,730 for AC tier 1.
- Q: What is special about the Sealdah Rajdhani train?
A: All the coaches of Sealdah Rajdhani have been curtains revamped with fire retardant material to minimize the damage of a fire. Installations of CCTV cameras to avoid thefts/untoward incidents and LED lights have been fixed for saving power.
- Q: How many bogies are there in Rajdhani Express?
A: Rajdhani trains have 22 coaches, which will rise to 24, making it easier for more passengers to travel at a time.
- Q: Is the Rajdhani express food served for free?
A: No, Rajdhani train food expense is included in the ticket fare.