Indian railways are the lifeline of India that connects many states. In the same way, Delhi Metro services have appeared as the lifeline of Delhi. The Metro services have proved to be a boon for the people of Delhi. The best part of the introduction of the Delhi Metro services is the reduction in traffic. The expansion plans of the Delhi Metro stations had started mainly for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. The major aspect that has been given the primary importance within the Delhi Metro rail is safety.
The Delhi Metro rail services are being constructed in phases. Most of the metro routes under Phase I was completed before 2010. The 2nd Phase, known as Phase II, covered 85 stations. It was also finished by the year-end of 2010. The other projects of Phase IV, and V are in the pipeline, which is expected to be entirely done by the end of 2023, and 2031 respectively.
The Delhi Metro stations have small refreshment kiosks that supply food and beverages to the travellers. Some metro stations, like Rajiv Chowk, Kashmere Gate, have popular restaurants like Cafe Coffee Day, Nirula’s, and McDonald’s.
Every day, thousands of travellers use the metro to reach the railway station of Delhi. This nearest metro station guide will provide you with a quick cheat sheet of the Delhi metro stations connectivity to the Railway Stations in Delhi.
Lists of Metro Stations in Delhi
- Total number of metro stations – 253
- Total number of metro stations under construction (Phase III) – 1
- Total number of metro stations under planning (Phase IV) – 79
- Number of interchange stations – 24
- Number of elevated stations – 178
- Number of underground stations – 69
- Number of at-grade stations – 6
Nearest Metro Station to Major Railway Stations in Delhi
There are 47 railway stations in Delhi. The five main Delhi railway stations are Delhi, New Delhi, Hazrat Nizamuddin, Anand Vihar Terminus, and Delhi Sarai Rohilla.
1. Nearest Metro Stations to Old Delhi Railway Station (DLI)
The Old Delhi Railway is located in the northern side of New Delhi. Top tourist attractions like Chandni Chowk, Shri Digambar Jain Lal Mandir, and Gurudwara Sahib are quite near to the station. It is found in a commercial area where markets, restaurants, and hotels are just at a walking distance away. For those planning to trip Delhi using the Delhi Metro, you can find a few metro railway stations close to the Old Delhi Railway Station. You can reach some nearby metros even on-foot while can use an auto-rickshaw, taxi or cab for others.
Metro Stations Nearest to the Old Delhi Railway Station
- Chandni Chowk Metro Station is located on the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro Station. It is the nearest metro to the Old Delhi Railway Station. It is only 0.19 km or a 2-minute walking distance from the Old Delhi Station.
- The Kashmere Gate Metro Station is also very close by, located on the Red, Yellow and Violet Lines of the Delhi Metro. It is just 0.85 km or an 11-minute walk away from the Old Delhi Station.
- The Lal Quila Metro Station, located on Violet Line, is about 1.1 km from the Old Delhi train station, or a 14-minute walk distance.
- The other two metro stations, Jama Masjid and Tis Hazari, is a bit further but still at a walkable distance. It takes around 20 to 30 minutes of walking away from the Old Delhi Railway Station.
Also Read: Order Food in Train at Delhi Railway Station
2. Nearest Metro Stations to New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS)
The New Delhi Metro is the nearest metro station to the New Delhi Railway Station. Those travellers who are waiting at New Delhi station and want to enjoy the cuisines from the eateries of Connaught Place can easily online order food in train at New Delhi station and can continue the journey with the taste of Delhi’s food.
- If you are coming from Platform no. 1, Paharganj Gate it is merely 1 km away from the New Delhi (NDLS) Railway Station.
- However, if you are coming from Platform no. 16 (Ajmeri Gate), the New Delhi Metro is just adjacent to it or only one minute’s walk away. So you need to walk towards the Platform 16 to reach the Ajmeri Gate.
There are also some other metro stations near the New Delhi Railway Station, to the side from the New Delhi Metro Station:
- Ramakrishna Ashram Marg Metro Station is around 2.3 km away from the New Delhi Railway Station.
- Shastri Nagar Metro Station is approx 7.4 km far from the New Delhi Railway Station.
- Kirti Nagar Metro Station is 10.6 km distance from the New Delhi Railway Station.
- Kailash Colony Metro Station is around 12.3 km away from the New Delhi Railway Station.
- Shahdara Metro Station is about 12.8 km away from the New Delhi Railway Station.
At these railway stations, you need to hire an auto or taxi to reach the metro stations. The New Delhi Metro is located on the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro. Depending on where you’re going, you might need to change metros or colours of metro lines (Blue, Green, Violet or Red).
3. Nearest Metro Stations to Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station (NZM)
Hazrat Nizamuddin is the 3rd biggest railway terminus of the national capital after New Delhi and Delhi. Many metro stations are nearby Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station such as Hazrat Nizamuddin, Indraprastha, Pragati Maidan, Barakhamba Road, Race Course, ITO, and Jangpura.
- Hazrat Nizamuddin Metro Station is on the pink line of the metro. Approximate walking distance between these two stations is just about 1 km and hardly takes 10 minutes.
- Indraprastha Metro Station is about 6.7 km away from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station.
- Pragati Maidan Metro Station is about 5.7 Km away from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station.
- ITO Metro Station is about 4.2 Km away from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station.
- Jangpura Metro Station is about 2.4 Km away from the Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station.
4. Nearest Metro Stations to Anand Vihar Railway Station (ANVT)
Anand Vihar railway station is counted among one of the famous stations of New Delhi city and has all kinds of amenities and facilities such as cafes, bookstalls, ATMs, vending machines, and more.
- Anand Vihar Metro is the nearest metro station to Anand Vihar railway station. It is about 2 km away from the railway station. People can cover these two km distance from any preferred mode of transport, including a taxi, a bus, or an auto to reach Anand Vihar metro station to reach their destination.
5. Nearest Metro Stations to Delhi Sarai Rohila Railway Station (DEE)
- Shashtri Nagar Metro Station is the nearest metro to the Delhi Sarai Rohilla (DEE) Railway Station. The distance between Delhi Sarai Rohilla railway station and Shastri Nagar metro station is about 3.3 km (Driving) and 1.1 km (Walking).
- It is just a 15-minute walk away from the Delhi Sarai Rohilla Station. You can take the Swamy Narayan Marg to reach the destination.
- If you have your vehicle or want to cover the distance by taxi, cab, or auto to reach the place, it can take 10-15 minutes.
- There is a fixed fare of Rs. 10/person on shared Auto-Rickshaw.
- Pratap Nagar Metro Station is the second closest metro station to Delhi Sarai Rohilla railway. The distance between Delhi Sarai Rohilla railway station and Pratap Nagar metro station is 3 km (driving) and 1.8 km (walking).
- It will take 20-25 minutes on foot to reach.
- Alternatively, you can take a cab, taxi or auto-rickshaw from the metro station which will drop you to Sarai Rohilla Railway Station which is only 15 minutes away via Vir Banda Bairagi Marg.
The metro train route is expanded in Delhi NCR regions and across the boundaries of two nearby states, Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Haryana. Mainly, these metro routes are divided into eight lines of DMRC metro, which includes the red line, yellow line, blue line, violet line, green line, orange line, pink line and Magenta line. In all of these lines, major routes are on the blue line, red line, yellow line, violet line and magenta line of DMRC.